There are so many benefits to getting a good night’s sleep. It can increase your productivity, boost your mood, improve your health and keep your energy up – so it’s essential to ensure you’re getting enough kip at night in order to function properly during the day.
Essential oils are a natural aid, and a great way to help you relax in the evenings and sleep better at night. We’ve put together some of the best essential oils for sleep as well as our top tips for incorporating essential oils into your bedtime routine to help you feel well-rested and ready to tackle the day.
What essential oils help with sleep?
Certain essential oils are known for their soothing effects, and using them in the evenings can help to promote more restful sleep. These are our favourite essential oils for relaxation and sleep.
- Lavender – the refreshing scent of lavender essential oil is naturally soothing and calming for your body, mind and wellbeing – making it a great one to use at bedtime.
- Ylang-ylang – the sensual and floral scent of ylang-ylang essential oil also has soothing properties which help to relieve emotional stresses.
- Blends – pre-mixed aromatherapy blends such as our Night Time blend and our Calming blend are specially formulated to help busy minds stop whirring when it’s time for bed.
How to use essential oils for sleep
There are plenty of ways to use essential oils for sleep and enjoy the aromatic effects:
- Massage: Use a blended aromatherapy massage oil or add your chosen essential oils to a base massage oil, massaging into your neck, shoulders and any other areas of the body.
- Diffuser: Add 4-6 drops of your essential oils into the water of an electric diffuser. For more information, read our article on how to use an essential oil diffuser.
Bedtime routine for better sleep
Giving your body and mind a chance to unwind after a long day is a good way to encourage healthy sleep. We recommend getting into a good bedtime routine so your body can adapt and learn that evenings are for settling down and getting ready for sleep.
Pop the kettle on
You could start your bedtime routine with a nice warming drink. You don’t want to be drinking caffeine at this time of night, so opt for a soothing cup of Night Time Tea instead. The comforting chamomile and aromatic lavender notes create the perfect infusion to sip before bed.
Enjoy a relaxing bath or shower
Dishes piling up in the sink and phone flashing with missed calls and messages? Close the door on the chaos and indulge in a lovely warm bath or shower with our luxurious Beauty Sleep Shower Oil. Let the conditioning oils sink into your skin and enjoy a few minutes of peace before you hit the hay.
Make time for your skincare routine
Spending a few minutes every evening on your skincare routine won’t just do wonders for your skin, it will also help you unwind and prepare for sleep. Ty to keep things simple so it doesn’t take too long and become a chore. Explore some customer favourites below:
Switch off your phone
A good habit to get into is switching off your devices at least 30 minutes before you go to sleep. Leave them in another room, plug them in to charge away from your bed, or close them in a drawer so you’re less tempted to scroll. This will help your mind to switch off and prepare for a good night’s sleep.
Create a relaxing ambiance
Finally, spritz some Goodnight Pillow Mist onto your bedding, or pop a few drops of a Calming Essential Oil Blend in an aroma diffuser to create a peaceful atmosphere in your bedroom. The essential oils will promote a sense of calm so you can drift off into a restful sleep with ease.