Beauty with no nasties
The skin is the body's largest organ, and an active barrier between our bodies and the environment. It's well known that what you put on your skin ends up in your body - just think of nicotine patches. That's why we believe it's really important to know exactly what's in the products you use on your skin.
Over the last 50 years, tens of thousands of new chemicals have been developed, most of which have never been properly tested on humans. We absorb a huge array of these synthetic chemicals through our food, our toiletries, and our immediate environment, and whilst we may not be able to avoid all of these chemicals, we believe it makes sense to do what we can to minimise contact wherever possible.
What's in our products?
When it comes to ingredients, we pride ourselves on our honesty, integrity and transparency. We make our products with the maximum organic, natural and wild ingredients, and carefully select other functional ingredients (detergents, emulsifiers, surfactants etc) with a view to safety, efficacy and biodegradability. Our entire range makes use of high quality organic plant-based ingredients, and we fully disclose our ingredient information with our customers, both online and, where space allows, on our packaging.
Find out more about why we choose organic products..
10 ingredients to look out for when choosing natural & organic beauty products
At Neal’s Yard Remedies, we follow the Precautionary Principle – you won’t find anything in our products we believe could cause you or the planet harm, just lots of ethically sourced, natural and organic herbs, botanicals and essential oils.
We believe what you leave out of a product can be as important as what you put in – you’ll never find any of these in our products.
- DEA/TEA derivatives - Associated with known carcinogens.
- EDTA - A powerful metal ion chelator that doesn’t biodegrade readily.
- Parabens - Many have lack of data on safety and concerns have been raised over estrogen-like activity.
- Phthalates - Some phthalates are very toxic and they have been banned from EU products and other main markets. We have decided to “ban” them all, just in case.
- Silicones - Synthetically produced emollients – we use organic vegetable oils instead.
- Genetically Modified ingredients - Not enough is known about long-term implications.
- Synthetic fragrances - Often hidden under the term ‘Parfum’ on ingredients lists, some synthetic fragrances can trigger allergies and asthma.
- BHT - A petroleum derived ingredient, which is toxic to the aquatic environment.
- Mineral oils - Derived from petroleum, a non-renewable resource from a polluting industry.
- Triclosan - Research indicates this ingredient may contribute to antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
We create our health and beauty by using the maximum organic, natural and wild-harvested ingredients available, making them kinder to the earth – and kinder to you.
We have never tested on animals, it is unnecessary and cruel. We’re certified by Cruelty Free International.