Today we celebrate essential oils and all their benefits. From relaxing and soothing to energising and uplifting, these versatile little bottles can work wonders to help lift your mood naturally while infusing your space with a beautiful scent.
Here at Neal’s Yard Remedies, we have always championed essential oils for their therapeutic benefits and ability to elevate our mood and increase our sense of wellbeing.
We caught up with Fran Johnson, our Product Development Manager and resident Aromatherapist, who talked us through the benefits of essential oils and gave us her top tips for harnessing the power of aromatherapy in our daily lives.
1. What is aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a holistic therapy which uses the sense of smell to work on the mind, body and spirit, bringing balance, healing and a sense of wellbeing.
2. Why is it important for people to know and understand their essential oils?
Essential oils have so many benefits and uses! They are fascinating and the more you read about them the more interesting they become.
Always check the safety of the oils you are using and make sure you don’t use them undiluted on the skin. You should also make sure not to use them with babies (unless they are specifically designed for this purpose).
3. There are multiple ways to use essential oils – they can be diffused, applied to pressure points or added to body care products. In your opinion, what is the most effective way to use them?
It really depends on what you are using the essential oil for. If you have a tight muscle for example, a topical application of essential oils in base oil will be the best way to use it. If you wish to freshen or clear your workspace, a diffuser or room spray would be the most effective way. For relaxing, use in a warm bath. The list is endless!
4. Does aromatherapy have both immediate and long-term effects?
Aromatherapy works on the root cause as well as the symptoms.
5. How can we learn to switch off our brains?
There are lots of ways. We are all different, so finding what is right for you is important.
Set aside some screen-free time each day.
Breathe! There are lots of different breathing exercises and techniques that allow the body to relax and help calm the mind.
Meditation and visualisations can help you to switch off.
Exercise is a great stress reliever. Yoga, stretching and walking are all gentle movements that can help with relaxation.
Spend time in nature, listen to the birds singing and the trees moving. Smell the grass and the air.
- Self-care. Take time for yourself. Have a bath or a massage. Spend time with people you love. Discover a new hobby that distracts your mind like crafting or puzzling.
6. What is your favourite essential oil for de-stressing or winding down after a long day?
I love frankincense oil for meditation. It is a really grounding oil that calms the breath and lifts the spirits.